Losing weight has become a "must" in our days due to high-calorie intake from fast-foods, restaurants, or pre-packed food delivery. It is the informational era where time is running against us, leaving home cooking (almost) in oblivion. But when heath problems or excess fat appear, each of us finds at least one hour to cook something healthy and why not, with slimming features.
Weight loss foods are not tasty?
This sentence is one of the most searched regarding slimming diets, but it isn't true. Foods with slimming features can be delicious if you have the right recipe for them and some skills in the kitchen. Most of them have low calories, therefore, a lot of ingredients are out of these recipes or are allowed for a limited quantity of use. There is a BUT though, low calorie and limited ingredients, doesn't mean the dish is not tasty, you can make it tasty!
I searched and searched for tasty recipes for my slimming diet, but no cookbook did the trick... until I found Susan Dale's cookbook. Besides the fact she has a lot of kinds with this feature (including low calorie and low fat), the meals prepared after her recipes are very tasty and full of flavor. Trust me, I lost 6.4 pounds in less than 2 weeks, the meals are tasty, and the belly fat is visibly reduced.
1. Asian Chicken Wraps
Asian Chicken Wraps are actually wrapped in Asian cabbage, not in tortillas. This recipe is specially created by me to embrace slimming programs and for you to have a quick healthy meal.
Ingredients: 1 small Jalapeño Chili; 1 Tablespoon Garlic; 1/2 Tablespoon Fish Sauce; 2.5 Tablespoons Lemon Juice; 1/2 Water; 3 Tablespoons brown Sugar; 14 oz Chicken Breast; 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce; 1 Tablespoon Sesame; 1 Tablespoon Ginger; 1 Tablespoon Garlic; 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil; 12 big leaves from Asian Cabbage; 1 small Kapia Pepper; 2 small Carrots; 1/2 small Cucumber; 2 leaves Basil - Fresh;
- Remove seeds and white membrane, and mince the Jalapeno chili (about 1 Tbsp); Mince the garlic and ginger, squeeze the lemon for lemon juice, chop the cucumber, fresh basil, and kapia pepper. Then, cut lengthwise the carrots. The chicken breast must be boneless and skinless, then cut it into cubes.
- To prepare the sauce, add all ingredients for the sauce to a saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat, and let sit in the hot saucepan for 3–5 minutes. Chill in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes or until cold.
- Prepare the chicken by heating oil in a large wok or sauté pan. Add ginger and garlic, and stir fry briefly until cooked but not brown, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add chicken breast cubes, and continue to stir fry for 5–8 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and sesame seeds, and return to a boil for another 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat, and cover with lid to hold warm in hot sauté pan.
- Place one large Asian cabbage leaf on a plate, then add chicken cubes, chopped basil, carrots, cucumber, kapia pepper, and fold together. Serve two wraps with ¼ cup of sauce. Enjoy!
2. Chicken Ratatouille for Weight Loss
My recipe for Chicken Ratatouille is for persons who need to get slim. It is a healthy instant-pot dinner, low-calorie meal, and tasty.
Ingredients: 12 oz Chicken Breast; 1/2 Lb. fresh Mushrooms; 1 medium Green Bell Pepper; 1 small Eggplant; 2 Zucchini; 1 medium Onion; 1 Can - 14½ oz Canned Tomatoes; 1/2 Tablespoon Garlic; 1.5 teaspoons Basil - Dried; 1 Tablespoon Parsley - Fresh; 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil; 1/8 teaspoon black Pepper.
- Rinse and slice the mushrooms, parsley, zucchini, and onion. Then, cut into 1-inch pieces the green bell pepper and eggplant, chop the tomatoes, and mince the garlic clove.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan. Add chicken (skinless), and sauté for about 3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add zucchini, eggplant, onion, green pepper, and mushrooms. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, basil, parsley, and black pepper. Stir and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Stir-Fried Chicken & Celery
Stir-Fried Chicken & Celery is one of the best Chinese recipes that I know. Simple, quick, healthy, and VERY tasty, it can be prepared with ease for lunch and dinner.
Ingredients: 12 oz Chicken Breast; 2 cups Celery Stalk; 1 cup Carrots; 1 Tablespoon fresh Scallions; 1 Tablespoon Ginger; 1 cup low-sodium Chicken Broth; 1 Tablespoon lite Soy Sauce; 1 Tablespoon Garlic; 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch; 2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar; 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil; 1/2 Tablespoon Sesame Oil; 1 Tablespoon Sesame.
- Cut into strips the chicken breasts and carrots, slice the celery and scallions, mince the ginger and garlic, and toast the sesame.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large wok or sauté pan. Add ginger, garlic, and scallions, and stir fry briefly until cooked, but not brown, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add celery and carrots, and continue to cook gently until the celery begins to soften.
- In a bowl, mix cornstarch with chicken broth, and add to the pan. Add rice vinegar, and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower temperature to a gentle simmer.
- Add chicken, and stir continually for 5–8 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, sesame oil, and sesame seeds, and mix gently. Enjoy!
4. Chicken & Mushroom Fricassee
Chicken & Mushroom Fricassee is a healthy recipe with slimming features, a great taste, and exceptional cooking timing. Hearty vegetables included!
Ingredients: 1 lb Chicken Breast; 10 oz white button Mushrooms; 3 cups low-sodium Chicken Broth; 1 cup Onion; 1 cup Leeks; 1 cup Potatoes; 1 cup Celery Seed; 1.5 Tablespoon Parsley - Fresh; 1 Tablespoon Fresh Chives; 1 Tablespoon juice from a Lemon; 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch; 2 Tablespoons fat-free Sour Cream; 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil; 1/2 teaspoon Salt; 1/4 teaspoon black Pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350 ºF. Rinse and dice the chives, parsley, celery, potatoes, and leeks. Cut the chicken breast to the desired thickness.
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized heavy-bottom roasting or braising pan (a large sauté pan with a metal handle will work as well). Add mushrooms to pan, and cook until golden brown, about 3–5 minutes. Add leeks, potatoes, celery, and pearl onions, and continue to cook until the vegetables become soft, about 3–5 additional minutes.
- Add chicken broth to the pan, and bring to a boil. Add chicken breasts to the pan, cover, and place in the heated oven for about 20 minutes or until the chicken breasts are tender when pierced with a fork (to a minimum internal temperature of 165 ºF).
- When chicken breasts are tender, remove them from the pan, return the pan to the stovetop, and bring the liquid to a boil. Add herbs and lemon juice.
- In a bowl, mix the cornstarch with the sour cream, and add to the pan. Bring back to a boil and then remove from the heat once boiling.
- Season with salt and pepper, and pour 1 cup of vegetables and sauce over chicken. Serve hot! Enjoy!
6. Sweet and Sour Chicken & Vegetables
Sweet and Sour Chicken is prepared after a popular Chinese recipe, one of the best I know. If you're into Asian dishes, this will "blow" your taste buds.
Ingredients: 12 oz Chicken Breast; 12 oz Frozen Vegetables; 1 cup low-sodium Chicken Broth; 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce; 1 tablespoon Asian hot Chili Sauce; 1 tablespoon Ginger; 1 tablespoon fresh Scallions; 1 tablespoon Garlic; 2 tablespoons Rice Vinegar; 2 tablespoons brown Sugar; 1 tablespoon Cornstarch; 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil.
- Thaw frozen vegetables in the microwave (or place the entire bag in a bowl of hot water for about 10 minutes). Set aside until step 6. Meanwhile, mince the ginger, scallions, and garlic.
- Heat oil in a large wok or sauté pan on medium heat. Add ginger, garlic, and scallions, and stir fry until cooked, but not brown, about 2–3 minutes.
- Add the rice vinegar, chili sauce, and brown sugar to the pan, and bring to a simmer.
- In a bowl, mix cornstarch with chicken broth, and add to the pan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Lower temperature to a gentle simmer.
- Add chicken, and stir continually for 5–8 minutes
- Add the vegetables and mix gently. Simmer with lid on to reheat, about 2 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, and mix gently for about 2 minutes.
- When done, divide into four even portions, and serve. Enjoy!
7. Black-Eyed Peas with Chard
Besides the fact that black-eyed peas are very tasty, you can use this vegan dish to help you with the weight-loss diet.
Ingredients: 24 ounce Black-Eyed Peas; 6 large stalks of Chard; 2 small Onion; 1 sprig Fresh Rosemary; 3 tablespoons extra virgin Olive Oil; 4 cups Water; 2 Bay Leaves; 1 teaspoon Sea Salt; 1 teaspoon Pepper.
- Put the water in a large pot and add the rosemary, bay leaves, onions, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer to produce a flavorful broth, about 40 minutes.
- Remove the rosemary and bay leaves. Add the chard to the pot, and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Strain, reserving 1 cup of the liquid. Return the liquid and the greens to the pot and stir in the black-eyed peas, and let the heat on low for another 2-3 minutes. Canned peas are soft, so be careful not to crush them. Season with salt and pepper. You can serve over rice. Enjoy!
8. Japanese Lettuce & Teriyaki Chicken
When it comes to losing weight or belly fat is best to have poultry meat on the table instead of any other type. The Lettuce & Teriyaki Chicken prepared in Japanese style is one of the tastiest meals for this particular reason.
Ingredients: 1.1 Lb. Chicken Tenderloins; 2 Tablespoons Teriyaki Sauce; 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce; 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil; 4 large leaves from Lettuce; 1 green Capsicum; 2 medium Carrots; 2 Beetroot; 1 medium Cucumber; 1 medium Avocado; 1 cup long grain white Rice.
- Wash the vegetables and the chicken meat, then slice them finely (lengthwise).
- Mix teriyaki and soy sauce in a bowl, add chicken meat and marinate for 30 minutes or more. Meanwhile, cook rice noodles according to packet instructions.
- Combine vegetables in a large bowl. Heat the olive oil in a frypan over medium-high heat and add the chicken meat when pan begins to sizzle. Cook chicken tenderloins for 10 minutes or until chicken has browned.
- After the chicken tenderloins are cooked, mix with the vegetables and noodles and place the mixture portioned on every lettuce leaf.
Only 8 Recipes?
Until now, I tried only 8 slimming recipes, but I will update this article when I will try some more. If you have tried weight loss recipes from Susan Dale's cookbook, let me know and I will update them.
More steps to follow for weight loss diet
- Eat meals with high protein intake, especially breakfast.
- Avoid sugary drinks, especially carbonated drinks.
- Drink water before meals, not after. You should wait at least 30 minutes after meals until you should drink again. Some say you should wait 1h30m.
- Choose slimming-friendly foods (like shown above).
- Eat foods that contain soluble fiber.
- Drink coffee and tea... a lot of tea (especially green ones)
- When you eat, chew slowly.
- Combine with sports. Indoor and/or outdoor.